A-Z Of All Places On The Fabulous North

Want to quickly know every place we have visited in one big list. Here you go, nicely sorted alphabetically.

Ace Of Spades Dragline Bucket (not Big Geordie) - The scoop bucket used from the now dismantled Ace Of Spades dragline excavator.

Adamson Memorial Drinking Fountain - A 19th century fountain dedicated to Bryan Adamson, a lieutenant of the HMS Wasp that was lost at sea.

All Saints Church - A Parish Church close to the centre of Rothbury, parts of which date back to the 1200s

Allendale Chimneys - Two chimneys that were part of the Allen Lead Smelt Mill flue system.

Alnmouth Friary - A beautiful house and gardens for the friars of The Society of St Francis in the North East.

Alnmouth Gun Battery - An old gun battery from the 19th century and reused in WW2.

Alnwick Abbey Gatehouse - The remaining gatehouse from Alnwick Abbey, built in the 12th century.

Alnwick Castle - A castle and country house in Alnwick, Northumberland. It is the seat of The 12th Duke of Northumberland.

Alnwick Moor Quarry Lime Kiln - A lime kiln situated on Alnwick Moor, one of 400 that would have been used in Northumberland.

Alnwick Pants - Fountains and water troughs throughout Alnwick that were once used to provide clean water.

Alnwick Water Tower - A water tower sitting next to the kitchen garden of Alnwick Gardens.

Angel Of Northumberland - A mini version of the Angel Of The North standing in a field near Hexham.

Angel Of The North - A contemporary sculpture of a metal angel designed by Antony Gormley.

Apollo Pavilion - A Brutalist public work of art in Peterlee, designed by British Artist and Architect, Victor Pasmore.

Arbeia Roman Fort - A reconstruction of a gatehouse and buildings on the original foundations of the Roman buildings.

Armstrong Cross - The Market Cross was erected to the memory of Lord And Lady Armstrong.

Armstrong Memorial - A life sized bronze sculpture in memory of Lord Armstrong on Barras Bridge outside the Hancock Museum.

Auckland Castle - Castle dating back to the 17th century and home to the bishops of Durham.

Auckland Castle Deer House - The deer house is a rare and well preserved example of Gothic Revival architecture built in 1760.

Auckland Tower - A tower based on a siege engine amongst eclectic buildings

Aydon Castle - A 13th century fortified manor house set in beautiful woodland setting near Corbridge.

Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art - Old flour mill converted into a contemporary art gallery in 2002.

Bamburgh Castle - The seat of the ancient kings of Northumbria and a mighty stronghold on the coast of Northumberland.

Bamburgh Lighthouse - The original 1910 building with the new lantern on its roof.

Barnard Castle - A Grade I listed, 12th Century ruined castle on the banks of the River Tees in Barnard Castle

Barter Books - Famous book shop in the old Alnwick train station.

Bath Terrace Lighthouse - A lighthouse situated 100m inland in Bath Terrace, Blyth.

Beadnell Lime Kilns - 18th century lime kilns in the harbour of Beadnell Bay

Beamish Museum - 350 acre world famous open air museum set in rural County Durham.

Beamish Shorthorns - A sculpture of four metal cows constructed from old JCB parts, grazing on the C2C route near Beamish.

Beaurepaire Priory - A 13th century priory twixt manor house that was a retirement home and also a retreat for the Durham Monks.

Belford Castle - A castellated farmhouse sitting on the foundations of a 15th century motte and baily castle.

Bell Tower Of St Oswald Church Kirkoswald - A stand alone bell tower for the the Church of St Oswald in Kirkoswald, Cumbria.

Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens - A Greek Doric style house, 14th century castle and 30 acres of beautiful gardens.

Berwick Parks - Two Parks, Castle Vale and Coronation Park, set either side of Berwick Station which include footpaths, shelters, rose gardens and a lily pond.

Biddlestone Chapel - A redundant Roman Catholic chapel in Biddlestone set in a picturesque copse.

Big Waters Country Park - A Country Park and lake on the outskirts of Newcastle Upon Tyne

Birkheads Secret Garden - A series of 12 gardens set in 3 acres of land in rural Gateshead.

Black Hut at Catcleugh Reservoir - The last remaining hut built to accomodate the workers who constructed the Catcleugh Reservoir.

Black Middens Bastle House - A ruined bastle and cottage located in a remote area of Bellingham.

Blackfriars - A restored Grade I listed, 13th Century Friary and ruins in the centre of Newcastle, now partly used as a restaurant and craft workshops.

Blagdon Hall Estate - The private estate of the White Ridley family where the grounds are filled with wonderful statues, follies and temples.

Blawearie Shepherd’s Hut - A ruined shepherd's hut in the moors near Old Bewick set amongst crags and cairns.

Blue Crags Hillfort - A hillfort in Colwell near Swinburne with a large outcrop of whinstone on the north face.

Blyth Battery Guns - Two replica Mark VII 6"naval guns mounted on the Blyth beach promenade.

Blyth Beach Huts - A beautiful set of beach huts situated on the Blyth Promenade.

Blyth Rocket House - The building used to house the rocket apparatus for saving crews from stranded ships near Blyth harbour.

Bondgate Tower - A 15th century gatehouse that was part of the Alnwick old town walls.

Born Free Lions - 25 bronze lion sculptures by artists Gillie and Marc, temporarily on display in Exhibition Park.

Bothal Castle - A castle and stately home in the village of Bothal near the River Wansbeck, between Morpeth and Ashington.

Bothal Footbridge - A small suspension footbridge crossing the river Wansbeck.

Bothal Stepping Stones - Stepping stones crossing the river Wansbeck at Bothal.

Boxing Gloves - Six foot pair of boxing gloves commemorating the achievements of Maurice Cullen.

Brainshaugh Priory - Originally St Wilfrid's Premonstratensian nunnery, this ruined priority sits by a tight bend in the River Coquet.

Brinkburn Priory - A 12th century medieval monastery built on a bend of the River Coquet, near Rothbury.

Brizlee Tower - An elaborate Gothic style tower based in Hulne Park.

Broomhill Water Tower - An old water tower from Broomhill Colliery that was sold at auction to be a house.

Burradon Tower - A ruined three storey tower house now mostly covered by trees.

Capheaton Hall Chapel Folly - A folly ruin of an 18th century chapel in the grounds of Capheaton Hall.

Cartington Castle - A lovely little 12th century ruined castle just outside of Rothbury.

Castle Eden Dene - 221 hectares of woodland, grassland and paths leading to the beautiful Durham coast.

Castle Point Lime Kiln - Probably the largest lime kiln in Northumberland sitting next to Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island.

Cateran Hole - A cave in a crater up on the moorland between Eglingham and Ros Castle.

Cathedral Church of St Mary - The Grade I listed Cathedral Church of St Mary, Newcastle's Catholic and first Cathedral.

Cauldron Snout - At 180m it is the longest waterfall in the UK and is fed from Cow Green Reservoir.

Causey Arch - Causey Arch is the oldest surviving single-arch railway bridge in the world.

Central Arcade - An ornate, Edwardian Shopping Arcade, in the centre of Newcastle built in 1906. The arcade is set within Richard Grainger's Central Exchange Building.

Cessford Castle - A ruined castle on the Scottish side of the border built by the 1st Earl of Roxburghe.

Charlie's Garden - A large rock sitting in Collywell Bay at Seaton Sluice that a local once grew things on.

Cheeseburn Grange - A sculpture park and art exhibition space set within the grounds of Cheeseburn Grange, near Ponteland.

Cherryburn - The birthplace of Thomas Bewick, the famous wood engraver and ornithologist.

Chipchase Castle - A 17th-century Jacobean mansion disguided as a castle just north of Hexham.

Chopwell Wood - Beautiful 360 hectare woodland, great for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

Church of St Aidan's Thockrington - An ancient Northumbrian Church, one of the oldest in the Country, dating back to the 11th Century that stands on a hill with amazing views in all directions.

Cleadon Water Tower - The water tower from the original Sunderland and South Shields Water Company plant.

Cleadon Windmill - A ruined windmill sitting on the highest part of the Cleadon Hills.

Clennell Hall - A 15th century country house, situated near the village of Alwinton in an area of natural outstanding beauty.

Clifford's Fort - A defensive gun battery established near the mouth of the Tyne during the Anglo Dutch Wars in the 17th Century and used during various later conflicts.

Codger Fort - An 18th century folly built by Sir Walter Blackett, in Rothley,

Collingwood Monument - A Grade II* listed monument in Tynemouth, dedicated to Vice Admiral Lord Cuthbert Collingwood. A Napoleonic-era admiral noted for being second-in-command to Admiral Lord Nelson during the Battle of Trafalgar.

Conversation Piece - A sculpture comprising 22 bronze figures by Juan Muñoz near South Shields beach.

Corbridge Vicar's Pele Tower - A 14th century defensive pele tower once used as a vicarage and now is a micro gin bar.

Corby's Letch - A lovely 2 level waterfall just under a bridge near Edlingham.

Cragside - Cragside is a Victorian country house near Rothbury in Northumberland, built for William Armstrong and his wife, Margaret.

Cramlington Shroud - Capella - A polished and lacquered aluminium shroud set in the nature reserve.

Cramlington Windmill - An old sail-less windmill situated within a farmers field.

Crammel Linn Waterfall - A lovely little double waterfall near Gilsland.

Craster Tower Gateway - 18th century gateway to Craster Tower, now an iconic entrance to the village of Craster.

Cresswell Hall Stable Block - A ruined stable block of the once Creswell Hall.

Cresswell Pele Tower - A recently renovated pele tower situated in Creswell on the coast.

Crindledykes Lime Kiln - A well preserved lime kiln not far from Vindolanda.

Croft Park - Blyth Spartans - The home of Blyth Spartans - The most famous Non League football club!

Cuddy's Cave - A small cave in a huge rock up a hill where it was thought St Cuthbert may have stayed.

Cullercoats Caves - Caves at Cullercoats Bay known locally as Fairies Caves.

Cullercoats Lifeboat Station - A 19th Century, Grade II listed, Lifeboat Station situated on the beautiful horseshoe bay at Cullercoats.

Curry's Point - A plaque marking the site of a gibbet where Michael Curry was chained for murder.

Dalden Tower - A ruined manor home complex with a tower in Seaham.

Derwentcote Steel Furnace - Disused steel furnace and woodland walk, managed by English Heritage.

Dolly Peel Statue - A statue to local heroine Dolly Peel, a smuggler, fighter against the pressgang and eventually nurse.

Dove Marine - A research and teaching laboratory which formed part of the School of Marine Science and Technology at Newcastle University. It is now part of the larger School of Natural and Environmental Sciences.

Drake Stone - Quite simply the biggest free standing boulder in Northumberland!

Drill Heads - A sculpture of three drill heads in Weetslade Country Park.

Druridge Bay Stepping Stones - Stepping stones over Ladyburn Lake in Druridge Bay Country Park.

Dryburgh Abbey - A ruined abbey sitting in a secluded woodland on the banks of the River Tweed.

Duddo Stones - A small five stone circle set in a beautiful location in Duddo Northumberland.

Duddo Tower - A ruined tower sitting on a crag just around the corner from the Duddo Stones.

Dunstanburgh Castle - A 14th-century fortification on the coast of Northumberland between the villages of Craster and Embleton. Built by Earl Thomas of Lancaster between 1313 and 1322.

Dunston Staiths - The largest timber structure in Europe, built in 1893.

Durham Angel - Designed by local sculpturer Ray Lonsdale, this statue Horns could be the Angel Of Durham.

Durham Cathedral - A stunning 900 year old cathedral built on a peninsula formed by the River Wear.

Durham Cow - Life size sculpture referring to the legend of Durham's founding on the banks of the River Wear

Easington Colliery - A town with a nature reserve, memorial garden, cemetry and a reconstructed miners pit cage, celebrating the times of mining in Easington Colliery.

Edlingham Castle - A 14th century ruined castle managed by the English Heritage.

Egglestone Abbey - Beautiful ruins of small monastery founded by White Canons set above a bend in the River Tees near Barnard Castle.

Eleven O One - A statue of a British infantryman commemorating the end of World War 1.

Elsdon Castle - An amazing example of an early 12th century Norman Motte and Bailey castle.

EM Perkins Monument - Statue dedicated to EM Perkins whose company supplied materials for the High Level Bridge in Newcastle.

Embleton Quarry Nature Reserve - Nature Reserve set in a former Whinstone Quarry in the village of Embleton

Emily Wilding Davison Statue And Grave - Emily Davison was a militant suffragette who died after throwing herself in front of the king's horse at the Epsom Derby.

Emmanuel Head Daymark - A white pyramid daymark on the north east Emmanuel Head of Holy Island.

Escomb Saxon Church - Founded about AD 670–675, it is one of the oldest Anglo-Saxon churches in England.

Eshott Airfield - An airfield mainly for pleasure flights where you can sit with a cup of tea in the observation deck and watch the planes take off and land.

Etal Castle - A ruined medieval castle built around 1341 by Robert Manners.

Evelyn Column Felbridge Monument - A column in memory of James Evelyn's parents, moved from Felbridge up to Lemmington, Northumberland.

Exhibition Park - A 15 hectare public park, right in the centre of Newcastle, dating from the 1880s and associated with, and named after two major exhibitions, the Royal Jubilee Exhibition of 1887 and the 1929 North East Coast Exhibition.

Fast Castle - The ruins of a castle fought over by the Scots and English on a small outcrop near St Abbs.

Fatlips Castle - A beautiful pele tower perched on Minto Crags peaking out of the trees.

Fiddlers Green Statue - A metal statue by Ray Lonsdale built as a memorial for fishermen lost at sea from North Shields.

Finchale Priory - Finchale Priory was a benedictine priory founded in 1196 on the site of the hermitage of Saint Godric.

Fisherman Door Art - Fisherman and his dog daubed on the back of a wall at Blyth Harbour.

Flodden Monument And Battlefield - A monument marking the Battle Of Fodden where the Scottish army of King James IV were heavily defated by the English in a brutal encounter.

Fontburn Reservoir - A drinking water reservoir with beautiful surrounding scenery.

Ford Castle - A Grade I listed building built around 1278 and situated at a shallow crossing point on the River Till, Ford, Northumberland.

Fulwell Windmill - A 19th Century Windmill in Fulwell, built for Joseph Swan in 1806.

Gateshead Central Library - A purpose built library, which opened in 1926 with funding from the Carnegie Trust.

Generation - Statues of three heads representing different eras of human and industrial production.

George Stephenson's Birthplace - Birthplace of mechanical engineer George Stephenson, built around 1760.

Giant Spoon - A giant 15 foot spoon in between two fields near Cramlington and Seghill as part of a National Lottery funded art trail.

Gibside - Gibside is a 720 acre estate acquired by the Bowes family in 1713.

Gibside Banqueting House - A beautiful folly set in the grounds of the Gibside estate which is now a holiday home.

God's Bridge - A natural limestone bridge on the Pennine Way.

Gosforth Nature Reserve - A nature reserve set within Gosforth Park where you can see birds, otters, deer and much more.

Grace Darling Monument - The monument for the Northumberland heroine Grace Darling who helped in the the rescue of survivors from the shipwrecked Forfarshire in 1838.

Greenchesters Lime Kiln - A three draw arch lime kiln in Otterburn.

Greenknowe Tower - A fine example of a 16th-century tower house, located just west of the village of Gordon, in the Scottish Borders

Grey's Monument - Monument dedicated to Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey built in 1838.

Groverake Mine - The ruins of an old lead and fluorspar mine in the Pennines with the headframe and some buildings still visible.

Gunpowder House - A small stone building used to store the explosives during the construction of the seahouses pier and harbour.

Hagg Bank Bridge - A grade II listed rib-arch bridge over the River Tyne.

Harbottle Castle - A ruined medieval castle situated at the west end of the village of Harbottle.

Hardwick Hall Park - An 18th century, 40 acre park designed by London architect, James Paine.

Hareshaw Linn - A spectacular waterfall at the head of a forest walk.

Harry Hotspur Statue - Statue to Henry Percy, also known as Harry Hotspur, Alnwick's most famous Knight and one of Shakespeare's best known characters.

Hartburn Grotto - A natural cave modified into a place for swimmers to get changed in the 18th century.

Haswell Colliery Engine House - A ruined colliery engine house that was part of a monumental mining disaster.

Heaton Windmill - An old ruined windmill sitting in Armstrong Park.

Heavenfield - A field, church and wooden cross marking the Battle Of Heavenfield. A skirmish between Northumbrians and the Welsh in 634AD.

Hen Hole - The most spectacular gorge with cascades and waterfalls in the whole of Northumberland if not the UK!

Hepburn Bastle - A ruined, Grade II listed Scheduled Monument, 16th Century Tower House / Bastle House.

Hepple Lime Kiln - A slightly ruined lime kiln in Hepple, just west of Rothbury.

Herd Groyne Lighthouse - A Victorian lighthouse built in 1882, still used for navigational purposes today.

High and Low Lights of North Shields - Decommissioned leading lights in North Shields.

High Hartington Lime Kiln - A 19th century lime kiln near the Wannie Line.

High Moorsley Weather Radar Station - A distinguished weather radar station that can be seen for miles.

Hollinside Manor - A medieval first-floor style Manor House set in the beautiful Derwent Walk Country Park.

Holy Cross Church Ruins - Ruins of the Church of the Holy Cross that is nearly 900 years old.

Howick Hall Gardens And Arboretum - The ancestral home of the Earls Grey since 1319. (As in the tea!)

Hownsgill Viaduct - 54m high viaduct, built with the help of Robert Stephenson.

Hulne Priory - A ruined 13 century priory sitting in the grounds of Hulne Park in Alnwick.

Hume Castle - A heavily modified ruin of an early 13th century castle held by the powerful Hume family.

Humford Woods stepping stones - A riverside walk along the River Blyth, accessed on either side by stepping stones.

Hundy Mundy Tower - A folly named after a princess overlooking bodies in a natural woodland burial site!

Hurl Stone - A 4m standing stone, most likely a headless cross, maybe thrown there by giants or the devil.

Hurlestone Tower - A modern day folly set in the Lilburn Tower estate next to the Hurl Stone.

Hylton Castle - 14th century gatehouse tower built by Sir William Hylton.

Invader Street Art - Tiled street art depicting space invaders placed around Newcastle City Centre

Iron Man - A puppet of the Iron Man that was used in the musical of the same name by The Who guitarist Pete Townshend.

Jenny’s Lantern Folly - A ruin of a folly shaped like a shepherd's hut on the Alnwick moors.

Jervaulx Abbey - A beautiful ruined abbey on the estate of Jervaulx Hall was the original home of Wensleydale cheese.

Jesmond Dene Waterfall - A pretty artificial waterfall in Jesmond Dene created by Lord Armstrong.

Jubilee Stone Bothal Church - A standing stone celebrating the Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Jubilee Stone On Shaftoe Crags - A tall stone marking Queen Victoria's Jubilee.

Keep Out Signs - Metal signs warning to Keep Out! Part of the Cramlington art trail.

Killhope Lead Mine - A restored 19th century mining museum in the centre of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, where you can experience the life and work of the lead mining families of the North Pennines.

King John's Palace - A fortified house built by Adam of Jesmond.

King Street Stairs - A new artwork on the King Street Stairs leading from the Quayside to All Saints Church.

Kingsgate Footbridge - Modernist footbridge completed without using scaffolding in 1963

Kirkley Obelisk - An obelisk marking the centenary of the Glorious Revolution by William the Orange.

Lady's Well - An atmospheric little pool surrounded by a grove of trees.

Lambley Viaduct - An amazing example of a Victorian designed viaduct spanning 280m over the South River Tyne.

Lambton Estate - One thousand acres of historic park and woodland set against the backdrop of Lambton Castle.

Lilburn Tower - A country manor house with beautiful gardens, an observatory, old church and ruined pele tower.

Lindisfarne Castle - A 16th Century, grade I listed castle on Holy Island only accessible from the Northumberland coast at low tide.

Lindisfarne Priory - A ruined Priory on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, widely considered to be the birthplace of Christianity in England.

Linhope Spout - An 18 metre waterfall in the beautiful Ingram Valley.

Little Swinburne Tower - A severely ruined 15th century tower in Little Swinburne.

Little Tern Sculpture - Artwork inspired by the Little Tern colony which return to nest in Horden every spring.

Lookout Tower Percy Gardens - A six storey lookout tower used to assist gun turrets in both World War 1 and 2.

Lord Armstrong's Banqueting House - The banqueting hall where Lord Armstrong would entertain his guests.

Low Alwinton Lime Kiln - Another beauty of a lime kiln situated in Low Alwinton.

Low Barnes Nature Reserve - A 47 hectare nature reserve near Witton le Wear created on an area of former sand and gravel quarry and sewerage treatment works.

Low Chibburn Preceptory - The ruins of a Medieval Hospitaller.

Lowther Castle - A skeleton of a castle built by the Lowther family who have owned this estate since before the 11th century.

Lowther Mausoleum - A mausoleum for William the second Earl, who died in 1844.

Lumley Castle - A grade I listed castle built in 1392, now a stunning hotel.

Malcolm III Cross - A stone cross marking where Malcolm III, King Of Scotland was slain at the Battle Of Alnwick.

Man with Potential Selves - Three statues sowing the different aspects of a working man of Newcastle.

Marsden Lime Kilns - Lime kilns on the coast near South Shields, built in the 1870s.

Marsden Rock - A huge rock standing on the beach at Marsden, South Shields that has collapsed into an arch an then to a single rock.

Matfen Standing Stone - A prehistoric standing stone with cup markings.

Meggie's Burn Reservoir - A small square reservoir just off the coast of Blyth.

Mike Barry Motorcycle Museum - A museum with a truckload of old bikes beautifully restored by past racer Mike Barry.

Mitford Castle - A ruined Castle dating from the 11th Century and is Grade I listed.

Monteath Mausoleum - A spectacular mausoleum for the British soldier Thomas Monteath Douglas.

Morpeth Castle - The gatehouse of the original motte and bailey castle in Morpeth.

Morpeth Chantry - Also known as All Saints Chantry, it’s a Grade I listed building now housing a bagpipe museum.

Morpeth Clock Tower - Charming working clock in the town centre of Morpeth.

Morpeth Courthouse - A former courthouse, and gateway to a gaol, now a restaurant and apartments.

Morph in the North Art Trail - Twenty beautifully decorated Morph figures to find in North Tyneside.

Mortuary Chapel - Ruined chapel on west side of Church Hill.

Morwick Water Tower - A spacecraft-like old concrete water tower, standing in the fields near Amble.

Mural and the Village Remains - Striking mural and sculpture, depicting South Hetton's mining heritage.

Murder Cleugh - A small marker stone where Robert Lumsden murdered Isabella Sudden in 1610.

Nelson's Obelisk - Also known as Davison’s Obelisk, this monument is a memorial to Horatio Nelson, victor of the Battle of Trafalgar.

Newburn Ford Battlefield and Ryton Willows - Site of the battle of Newburn Ford and Ryton Willows Local Nature Reserve

Newcastle Cathedral - Cathedral of Newcastle upon Tyne, originally built in 1091.

Newcastle City Walls - Remains of the 14th century walls that were built around Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Newcastle Keep - A 12th century keep in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Nine Year Aud Hole - A cave in Hulne Park guarded by a statue of a hermit.

Ninebanks Tower - An ornamental pele tower that was once part of a 16th century manor house.

Norham Castle - A 12th century castle that saw plenty of action during the wars between England and Scotland.

Northgate Water Tower - A concrete water tower located next to Northgate Hospital in Morpeth.

Northumberland Park - A traditional Victorian Park packed with features sitting between Tynemouth and North Shields.

Northumberlandia - Northumberlandia is a unique landform sculpture near Cramlington, opened by Princess Anne in 2012.

Old Hartley Blue Stone - A blue stone that has links to the Saxons, the black death, vaccinations and strongman feats!

Old King Coal - A sculpture called Old King Coal celebrating the area's proud coal mining history.

Old Law Beacons On Guile Point - Two obelisk navigation beacons that when lined up would direct you into Holy Island harbour.

Old Mill Jesmond Dene - A ruined watermill dating from back to 1739 in Jesmond Dene.

Old St. Helen’s Church - A ruined 18th century church currently being transformed by the local residents into another place for calm and reflection.

Old Transformers - Statues of the Ironmaster and Coal Miner made from obselete components representing the legacy of the local steelworks.

Osborne's Fort - A ruined fort tower on the opposite side of the harbour to Lindisfarne Castle on Holy Island.

Ouseburn Art - The ever changing Ouseburn Street Art and Installations.

Outchester Ducket - Maybe a windmill, maybe used for sea-navigation, maybe just a pretty building. Now a holiday home.

Path Head Water Mill - Water Mill on the edge of Blaydon, originally built in 1730.

Penrith Beacon - A beacon that when lit would warn the neighbouring villages of an impending attack!

Penshaw Monument - A memorial in the style of an ancient Greek temple on Penshaw Hill owned by the National Trust.

Percy Cross Otterburn Battlefield - A 14th century stone monument to the Battle of Otterburn in 1388

Percy Tenantry Column - A Doric style column with a Percy Lion on the top dedicated to the 2nd Earl of Northumberland.

Plessey Woods Viaduct - A very well hidden stone viaduct spanning the River Blyth at Plessey Woods for the East Coast Main Line.

Ponteland Vicar's Pele - A ruined Vicar's Pele sitting on the main high street in Ponteland.

Pottergate Tower - Originally part of the town's medieval defences, this tower is now a luxury holiday cottage.

Preston Tower - Probably the finest pele tower in Northumberland with magnificent views and beautiful gardens.

Prudhoe Castle - A ruined medieval English castle situated on the south bank of the River Tyne.

Queen Victoria Statue - Newcastle - A statue of Queen Victoria in St Nicholas' Square to commemorate 500 years of Shrievalty.

Queen Victoria Statue - Tynemouth - A statue of Queen Victoria by sculptor Alfred Turner in Tynemouth.

Rainton Meadows Nature Reserve - Nature Reserve near Houghton-le-Spring run by Durham Wildlife Trust.

Ratcheugh Observatory - A flat castle-like observatory on Ratcheugh Crag overlooking Alnwick.

Relative Treats - A life size sculpture of grandmother and granddaughter by Ray Lonsdale.

Rievaulx Abbey - Ruined 12th century abbey in the beautiful Rye Valley, North Yorkshire

River God Tyne - A bronze sculpture of the River God Tyne found on the side of the Civic Centre building.

Robbie Dale Mural - A mural of the Blyth Spartans legend - Robbie Dale

Roker Lighthouse And Pier - A stunning example of a lighthouse in Sunderland with a parabolic pier.

Rookhope Arch - One of the remaining arches carrying a two mile horizontal chimney as part of a flue system.

Ros Castle - Ros Castle is the highest of the Chillingham Hills, with a height of 315m.

Ros Castle Lime Kiln - A ruined lime kiln sitting between Cateran Hole and Ros Castle in the Alnwick area.

Roseberry Topping Shooting Box - An 18th century shooting box built for Captain Wilson on the slopes of Roseberry Topping.

Rothley Castle - A grade II listed, 18th century gothic folly, built for the Wallington Hall estate.

Rothley Crags - Spectacular crags in beautiful countryside, with a castle on top!

Roughting Linn Waterfall - A lovely waterfall nestled in a hidden and secluded valley.

Rowantree Stob Bastle - A ruined bastle which may not have been a bastle after all.

RRH Brizlee Wood Radome Golf Ball - A radome housing an RAF radar at Brizlee Wood sitting on top of Alnwick Moor.

RSPB Saltholme - 650 hectare site attracting thousands of birds every year.

Saint Mary's Chapel - A ruined chapel that was once a popular place for pilgrimages.

Saint Mary's Well - A small well linked to the nearby St. Mary's Chapel.

Seaton Delaval Hall - A beautiful grade I listed country house a mile from the coast, packed with glorious history!

Seaton Delaval Obelisk - An 18m tall Obelisk sitting 900m south of Seaton Delaval Hall.

Seaton Sluice - A small and picturesque harbour which used to export salt, coal and bottles.

Segedunum Roman Fort and Museum - Excavated Roman fort, with a museum and 35m viewing tower.

Seven Sisters - Mound marked by Beech trees, dating back to the Mesolithic period.

Shaftoe Crags - Stunning crags and landscape with standing stones and a Devil's Punchbowl.

Sharp's Folly - Sharp's Folly is an 18th century tower in Rothbury, and is the oldest folly in Northumberland.

Shibdon Pond - Nature Reserve with SSSI status in Blaydon.

Shilbottle Lime Kiln - A late 18th or early 19th Century Lime Kiln just outside Shilbottle.

Shilbottle Pele Tower - A pele tower that used to be part of the vicarage for the adjoining St James Church.

Shildon Engine House - The remains of a 19th century engine house, later transformed into flats and known as 'Shildon Castle'.

Side Gallery - Small photographic gallery on Newcastle's Quayside.

Sikehead Mine Chimneys - Two chimneys remaining from the Sikehead mine set on Ramshaw Moors

Simonburn Castle - Originally envisaged as a motte and bailey, Simonburn Castle was eventually a tower house before falling into ruin.

Simonside Hills - A sandstone ridge to the south of Rothbury with teems of crags, wildlife and amazing views.

Slaggyford Lime Kiln - A cool little lime kiln up the side of a hill in Slaggyford.

Smailholm Tower - A beautiful tower sitting atop the crag of Lady Hill near Kelso.

Source of the North Tyne River - A standing stone marking the northern source of the River Tyne in Deadwater.

Souter Lighthouse - Built in the 1870s, it was the first lighthouse in the world to be designed and built specifically to use alternating electric current.

South Marine Park - A Victorian Public Park on South Shields seafront that is part of a 4km chain of parks.

Spanish Gallery and Mining Art Gallery - Two fantastic galleries in the heart of Bishop Auckland.

Spirit of the Staithes - A piece of public art found at Blyth Quayside representing a full sized steam train and tender.

St Aidan's Church - A 12th century church standing on the site of the original wooden church built by St Aidan in the 7th century.

St Andrew's Church And Hopper Mausoleum - An atmospheric Anglican church and mausoleum abandoned in the 1970s.

St Andrew's Church Bolam - A beautiful Saxon church nestling in the rolling countryside that was once bombed by the Germans.

St Cuthbert's Cave - Situated in Holburn, St Cuthbert either lived in this cave as a hermit or his body was laid to rest here by monks escpaing from the vikings!

St Cuthbert's Cross - Said to be the location where St Cuthbert agreed to become Bishop of Lindisfarne when petitioned by the king.

St Francis Of Assisi Church Byrness - An 18th century church which was partly rebuilt in 1884. It has a window which commemorates those who died during the construction of the nearby Catcleugh Reservoir.

St James Church Shilbottle - The Parish Church of St James in Shilbottle

St John the Baptist Church Edlingham - A small saxon church built on the site of an old 8th century church near Edlingham Castle.

St Leonard's Hospital Chapel - The ruined chapel of an old hospital located in Denwick near to Alnwick Castle.

St Mary Magdalene Church Mitford - A Grade I Listed Church in Mitford with a number of interesting architectural features and Grade II Listed tombstones and Lych Gate in the churchyard.

St Mary's Lighthouse - A lighthouse on a small tidal island just north of Whitley Bay. It is linked to the mainland by a short concrete causeway which is submerged at high tide.

St Michael and All Angels Church - A 13th century church located in the grounds of Ford Castle, later restored by John Dobson.

St Paul's Monastery - Anglo-Saxon Monastery where St Bede spent his life from the age of seven.

St. Abbs - A quaint little fishing village set around old fishermen's cottages and spectacular jagged cliffs - Also twinned with New Asgard!

St. Michael And All Angels Church Low Alwinton - A pretty church sitting in amazing countryside with breathtaking views in Low Alwinton.

Stan Laurel Statue - A statue of the comedy icon and one half of the the legendary duo Laurel and Hardy, Stan Laurel to celebrate his time living in North Tyneside.

Starlight Castle - A tiny ruined castle just inland from Seaton Sluice.

Steetley Pier - A 2,000 foot long pier built in the 1960's to pipe sea water for the magnesia treatment works.

Stublick Chimney - Stublick Chimney is a grade II listed building from the former Langley lead smelting mill.

Swinburne Tithe Barn - A beautiful little barn used to collect tithes in the middle ages.

Swing Bridge - Rotating bridge designed by William Armstrong, which opened in 1876.

Sycamore Gap - A lone Sycamore Tree that stands on Hadrian's Wall and is considered the most photographed spot in the Northumberland National Park.

Table Rocks Pool - A natural tidal pool in Cullecoats that was expanded for swimmers in the 19th century.

Tees Cottage Pumping Station - A 19th century Victorian pumping station used to provide drinking water to the Darlington area.

Temenos - Art installation near Middlesbrough football ground.

Temple of Mithras - A Roman Temple dedicated to the God Mithras near to Brocolitia Fort on Hadrian's Wall.

Temple Of The Muses - A temple containing four bronze statues depicting the "Four Seasons" dedicated to poet James Thomson.

Terris Novalis - Two huge sculptures of 19th century surveyor's instruments standing on freaky feet!

The Ball and The Bradford Boy - A memorial to the Bradford brothers and other soldiers from Witton Park who fought in World War 1 and both received the Victoria Cross.

The Church of Our Lady - A delightful 12th-century church tucked away beside the magnificent Seaton Delaval Hall.

The Count's House - A Grecian style summerhouse on the banks of the River Wear named after a Polish entertainer.

The Farne Islands - Group of islands off the coast of Northumberland.

The Ferry Hut - Ferryman's Hut - The smallest museum in Northumberland (if not the world!!) with pictures, memorabilia and trinkets about boating life in Alnmouth.

The Journey - A bronze sculpture depicting six monks transporting St Cuthbert's coffin in Durham City centre by Fenwick Lawson.

The Laing Art Gallery - A free art gallery in the centre of Newcastle housing works by Henry Moore, Thomas Bewick, Norman Cornish, Richard Hamilton and Charles Napier Hemy among others.

The Lit and Phil - An independent Library, the largest outside of London, in the centre of Newcastle established in 1793, opened in 1825 and home of Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society.

The Mining Institute - The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers or as it is more commonly known, “The Mining Institute” is one of the finest buildings in Newcastle. It is a Victorian building built at the time when high-Gothic architecture was coming into fashion.

The Portrait Bench - A metal sculpted bench portraying three notable people from the Bedlington area.

The Response - A war memorial to the Northumberland Fusiliers sited on the grounds of St Thomas the Martyr Church at Barras Bridge, depicting the spirit and patriotic confidence that swept the nation at the outset of war in 1914.

The Summerhill - An octagonal folly, once part of the Stella Hall estate in Blaydon.

The Wannie Line - The route of the former Wansbeck or "Wannie Line" railway line that ran from Morpeth to Reedsmouth and Rothbury.

Thirlwall Castle - A 12th-century castle in Northumberland on the bank of the River Tipalt rich in history and treasure!

Thomson Monument - An obelisk commerating playwright and poet John Thomson, who also penned the words to Rule, Britannia.

Thorngreen Lime Kiln - An ingeniously preserved lime kiln sitting on the wonderfully named Slag Hill.

Thrunton Wood - A spectacular woodland planted on crags to the north and south.

Timpendean Tower - A ruined 15th century tower house near Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders.

Tosson Lime Kiln - The best preserved Lime Kiln in the Northumberland national park at Tosson.

Tosson Tower - A 600 year old ruined Pele Tower used as a stronghold against invading scots.

Tower House - A castelled octagonal building in Seaton Sluice that was once a tax office, harbour master house and now a gallery.

Transporter Bridge - The Transporter Bridge that spans the River Tees in Middlesbrough.

Tranwell Water Tower - A big water tower in Tranwell, part of RAF Morpeth.

Trow Rock Disappearing Gun - A unique gun that would disappear into its turret to reload, devised during the Crimean War.

Twizel Bridge - A Tudor arch bridge built in 1511 which was the largest single span bridge anywhere in Britain at its time.

Twizel Castle - A ruined medieval castle standing on the bend of the River Till.

Tyne Cyclist and Pedestrian Tunnels - A pair of tunnels under the River Tyne for use by pedestrians and cyclists.

Tynemouth Clock Tower - A Grade II listed Clock Tower and Drinking Fountain in the Venetian Gothic Style.

Tynemouth North Pier - A 900m long pier protecting ships when entering the River Tyne at Tynemouth.

Tynemouth Priory And Castle - A combined moated castle and gatehouse with the ruins of a Benedictine priory where early kings of Northumbria were buried.

Tynemouth Watch House - A museum dedicated to the Volunteer Life Brigade at Tynemouth.

Ulgham Village Cross - A preacher's cross erected by monks from Lindisfarne.

Ushaw College - Ushaw College is a former Catholic seminary, partially designed by Augustus Pugin.

Vampire Rabbit - The Vampire Rabbit is a strange and mysterious “grotesque” that can be found above the door at the rear entrance to the historic Cathedral Buildings, adjacent to Newcastle Cathedral.

Victoria Tunnel - A tunnel running from the Town Moor to the Ouseburn that was used to transport coal and then became an air raid shelter.

Vulcan Street Works - Brickwork from the Victorian age.

Walker Park - A Victorian public park in Walker, Newcastle with links to Robert Burns and its own population of Ring Necked Parakeets.

Wark Castle - A ruined motte-and-bailey castle at the West end of Wark on Tweed in Northumberland.

Warkworth Castle - A ruined medieval castle in Warkworth standing over a loop of the River Coquet.

Warkworth Hermitage - 14th century Hermitage carved out out of the bedrock on the River Coquet.

Washington F Pit - Small museum showcasing the history of coal mining in the region.

Washington Old Hall - Manor house associated with the family of George Washington, first president of the USA.

Watergate Forest Park - 24 hectare park with lake, woodland and waymarked paths in the heart of Gateshead.

Waterloo Monument - A monument commemorating the Duke of Wellington's victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.

Watersmeet - The meeting place of the north and south River Tyne sources.

Wave Chamber - Small Camera Obscura on the edge of Kielder Reservoir.

Wetheral Caves - St Contantine's Call - A 3 chambered cave used by the monks as storage and safegaurd and as a dwelling for St Constantine.

Wetheral Viaduct - Corby Bridge - A maginificent viaduct spanning the River Eden in Wetheral.

Wharnley Burn Waterfall - A beautiful little waterfall located in Allensford near Consett.

Wheatley Hill Heritage Center - Once a former chapel, but is now a museum, packed full of local heritage.

Whitburn Arch - A small rock arch off the coast in South Shields near Souter Lighthouse.

Whittle Lime Kiln - A lime kiln set in a lovely rolling Hobbiton area.

Whorlton Castle - Ruined motte and bailey castle, dating back to the Norman Conquest.

William Turner Garden - A modern take on a 16th Century Physic Garden dedicated to the life of Morpeth native William Turner, also known as the "Father of British Botany"

William Wallace Statue - A red sandstone statue of of William Wallace overlooking the River Tweed Valley near Melrose.

Winter's Gibbet - A replica of the gibbet used to display the body of the murderer William Winter.

Woodhorn Mill - A sail-less 19th century windmill in Lynemouth.

Woodhouses Bastle - A fortified farmhouse (Bastle) near Harbottle.